Tosca Reno's Spinach fettuccini with golden chanterelles and lacinato kale
PREP: 20 minutes | COOK: 10 minutes |
YIELD: 5x2-cup servings
Lacinato kale, aka tuscan kale, boasts blue-green leaves and a sweeter taste than its curly cousin. Paring this mild kale with golden chanterelles creates a dish that is as visually appealing as it is tasty. A word of warning: wow your guests with a meal this good and you might have them knocking on your door unannounced!
- 1 x 12-oz (340 g) package fresh spinach fettuccini, made without eggs
- 3 tsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch lacinato kale*, about 8 oz (225 g), cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- 1 lb (454 g) golden chanterelle mushrooms, brushed thoroughly to remove any dirt and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced shallot
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 ml) each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook fettuccini according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) cooking water, and set aside. In the meantime, in a very large skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil on medium high. Add kale and cook until wilted, about two minutes. Transfer kale to a bowl and return skillet to heat. Add remaining two tsp (10 ml) olive oil to skillet and add mushrooms in a single layer. Let cook without moving for several minutes to brown on bottom. Once mushrooms are browned, stir in garlic, shallot and thyme, and continue cooking mushrooms until soft and cooked through, about two more minutes.
Add cooked pasta and kale to skillet, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Stir in reserved pasta cooking water a little at a time until sauce reaches desired consistency. Serve mounded in large pasta bowls.
If you have access to truffle-infused olive oil, add a few drops on top of each serving.
OPTION: *If you can't find lacinato kale, use red kale.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER SERVING: Calories: 333 | Calories from Fat: 47 | Protein: 14 g | Carbs: 58 g | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Fiber: 4 g | Sodium: 52 mg | Cholesterol: 12 mg
Tosca Reno Recipes